Instructional Support Specialist
The Instructional Support Specialist collaborates with faculty and staff in the production of interactive learning materials and activities for distribution through the Canvas Learning Management System. Facilitates training for faculty and staff and supports face to face and online students and course delivery. The Instructional Support Specialist provides technical and instructional design support for Canvas and assists faculty with the integration of educational technology tools for traditional, online, and hybrid courses. Collects, analyzes, and distributes data.
Characteristics, Duties, and Responsibilities
• Initiate specific projects/tasks to meet the needs of faculty and students pertaining to course materials and activities suitable for distribution through Canvas.
• Support technology platforms used by students enrolled in traditional, online, and hybrid courses.
• Assist in the design of interactive course materials and learning activities that are innovative, user-friendly, and informative .
• Produce learning materials in a variety of formats including print, graphic, audio, video, animation, and multimedia to support teaching, learning, and college information needs.
• Provide assistance and training to faculty in instructional design and online pedagogy, technology tools and methods, uses of instructional software, and effective uses of multimedia.
• Assist with the creation of learning tools for use on various devices.
• Facilitate training for the ethical use of electronic, digital, and virtual content in traditional, online, and hybrid course formats.
• Conduct group, one-on-one, and online instruction for faculty on the use of educational technology tools and the Canvas Learning Management System.
• Support mobile and desktop platforms for both PC and Mac.
• Assist in the production of standard and ad-hoc reporting by collecting, analyzing, and distributing monthly data.
• Assist in researching, developing, and documenting procedures, online course operations, and technology policies.
• Attends staff and college meetings as assigned.
• Attends college events and participates in a team environment.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree is required
• Experience in the integration of educational technology and AI/AR/VR in traditional, online, and hybrid courses.
• Familiarity in online pedagogy and course design
• Experience with back-end
administration and programming (e,g., MySQL, html, Python)
• Quality Matters certified
Competencies and Skills Required
• Administration experience on an
• Ability to coordinate professional client/server support staff for successful project completion.
• Proficiency with educational technology tools.
• Experience supporting current platforms such as Colleague, Java, PC,
, and mobile devices including Android, Microsoft and iOS platforms.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (i.e., oral, written, and presentation).
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively within an academic community.
• Ability to complete work efficiently and independently as well as in a team.
• A commitment to customer service and student success.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• This position’s duties are normally performed in a typical interior/residence work environment, based on the activity scheduled.
• Some physical effort required; however, the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• Some travel required.