Secondary Chemistry Teacher
South Fayette Twp. School District is seeking a Secondary Chemistry Teacher.
REPORTS TO: High School Principal and Assistant Principal
1. Valid Secondary certification in Chemistry. Preference will be given to candidates with multiple Science certifications.
2. 3.0 or higher QPA
3. Proof of ongoing professional or educational experience
4. Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
5. Computer literacy
6. Successful experience teaching Advanced Placement courses preferred
- To develop in each pupil an awareness of the role of Science in economic and social progress
- To motivate each pupil to acquire knowledge of scientific facts and principles, and skills in scientific methods of problem solving
- To encourage students to develop their special talents in the fields of Biology, Chemistry, and/or Physics
- To establish good relationships with students, parents, and other staff members in the high school.
1. Teaches skills, knowledge, and scientific attitudes through courses in Chemistry to secondary pupils, utilizing the approved course of study adopted by the South Fayette Township School District
2. Instructs students in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the school district 03/01/2023
3. Plans a science program involving demonstrations, lectures, discussions, and student experiments; organizes frequent laboratory activities for optimal learning
4. Demonstrates scientific concepts by use of scientific apparatus, experiments, and standard or teacher-prepared charts, sketches, and other instructional aids, including the use of the computer
5. Differentiates instruction to adapt the curriculum to the needs of all pupils in the classroom and to accommodate circumstances where a variety of projects and experiments are being worked on simultaneously
6. Instructs pupils in proper use, care, and safe handling of chemicals, and science equipment
7. Provides for safe storage and proper use of materials, equipment, and tools. Makes minor adjustments and requests repairs to equipment as required
8. Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior for an orderly, productive learning environment during class sessions, laboratory sessions, and field trips
9. Designs learning activities that will relate science to the physical world
10. Selects and requisitions books, instructional aids, science equipment, chemicals, and supplies appropriate to the interest and maturity level of students; maintains required inventory records
11. Develops weekly lesson plans and instructional materials that foster and enhance learning, stressing discovery and laboratory learning methods
12. Translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction
13. Encourages students to think independently and to express original ideas
14. Assists pupils in selection and development of individual research projects
15. Cooperates with school administration in providing science displays and programs for the school and community
16. Identifies student needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude, and learning problems
17. Evaluates students' progress in scientific knowledge and skills as well as social growth, keeps appropriate and accurate records and prepares progress reports
18. Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss individual student progress and interprets contemporary methods of teaching science for parents
19. Supervises students in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned working day
20. Works with students and other classroom teachers in coordinating entries in essay contests and other enrichment activities
21. Creates an effective environment for learning through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and interest centers
22. Administers or monitors group tests and/or standardized tests in accordance with the district's testing program
23. Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs
24. Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities
25. Checks and responds to e-mail and voice mail daily 03/01/2023
26. Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the district and in self-selected professional growth activities
27. Demonstrates computer literacy by providing all correspondence and written documentation using Google Workspace and/or Microsoft Office Suite, online learning management systems such as Canvas, PowerSchool, communication tools, and student collaboration tools.
28. Demonstrates computer literacy in using the administrative software program effectively to maintain and retrieve student information and attendance data and to maintain student grades and performance assessments in an electronic gradebook
29. Utilizes available technologies to engage students and enhance instructional practices for students
30. Integrates 1:1 technology into the daily curriculum.
31. Collaborates with colleagues across the curriculum to develop and implement project-based and phenomenon-based learning opportunities.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Terms of employment are in accordance with the agreement between the South Fayette Township Board of Education and the South Fayette Education Association.
Performance of this job will be evaluated by the Building Principal and Assistant Superintendent and communicated to the Superintendent for review.
Internal and External Application Deadline: 4:00 p.m. on March 17, 2023 or until position is filled.