Virtual Technology Manager
The South Carolina Governor’s School for Science & Mathematics (GSSM) seeks an exceptional individual to join the GSSM team as our Virtual Technology Manager.
GSSM is nationally recognized for the quality of its advanced STEM, humanities, student research, and international programs. Our faculty and staff share a passion for their disciplines and a gift to inspire and lead their students to achieve their best and foster a joy of learning.
We are looking for outstanding individuals who believe in the GSSM mission, commit themselves to the success of our community, and set an example for joyful curiosity, hard work, and collegiality. For the next virtual technology manager, it is a special opportunity… GSSM’s virtual programs are strategic growth areas for the school.
Experience of Applicants: Candidates should have a successful track record (minimum 3 years) of hands-on involvement with virtual learning technologies that include video conferencing, personal computers, cameras, sound systems, Internet communications, course management systems, and large format displays.
A bachelor’s degree in a supportive field is desired but significant experience and a strong record of successful work is acceptable.
The major areas of responsibility for this position are:
- Work with GSSM staff to manage the life cycle of technology assets.
- Work closely with remote teachers, partner schools and school districts, and students to ensure that participants have access to reliable and productive technologies that are able to meet curricular goals.
- Create and publish technology standards and guidelines for use and care of GSSM technology resources used in virtual programs.
- Travel from GSSM’s main campus in Hartsville to partner locations across the state to deliver, setup, replace, maintain, and retrieve equipment as needed.
- Assess, update, refurbish, and replace equipment and software as needed each summer in preparation for redeployment in the fall.
- Assess and maintain subscriptions to services used by virtual programs.
- Research, recommend, and procure hardware, software, and services to support virtual programs.
- Manage course recordings so that they are available to students and teachers.
- Represent the school when working with partner organizations, families, and students.
- Assist GSSM’s residential and outreach programs in the procurement and use of virtual technologies.
The physical requirements for this position are:
- Drive legally in the state of South Carolina
- Load, transport, assemble, and install boxed and unboxed items such as computers, large format displays (60 inches or more), display stands, and related peripherals
Significant, seasonal day travel, infrequent overnight travel, and infrequent weekend and evening work should be expected.
GSSM is mission-driven to bring excellence and advanced STEM experiences within reach of every South Carolina family. The virtual technology manager will join a dedicated team of professionals working together to make that happen.
We are especially interested in hearing from candidates who are able to contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community, which we consider indispensable to our future growth and success.
Applicants are encouraged to address how they might assist GSSM in this way by discussing it in their cover letter.
This is a permanent, full-time position, with benefits provided through the State of South Carolina. Salary is competitive and commensurate with credentials and experience. The South Carolina’s Class Code for this position is AM62 IT Customer Support Specialist III.
Interested individuals must apply electronically and include these three items to be considered complete:
- A cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Current resume or curriculum vitae
- A completed GSSM/State Application.
GSSM is an Equal Opportunity Employer