Assistant Professor, Political Science
SALARY Depends on Qualifications
LOCATION Lake City, FL
JOB TYPE Full-time
JOB NUMBER 202300029
DIVISION Vice President, Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT Academic Affairs
OPENING DATE 01/24/2024
CLOSING DATE 2/23/2024 11:59 PM Eastern
Teach American, State, and Local Government courses. Work with others in the Political Science and History Departments to develop and revise curriculum, and examine learning outcomes. Administration of the learning process (teaching) is to be accomplished in accordance with Federal regulation, Florida State Law, and Florida Gateway College Board Policies. The primary responsibility of an Instructor at FGC is to the student in the classroom. All other activities must be considered secondary in importance. The Instructor is expected to allocate time in a manner as to provide scheduled classroom hours and office hours during which the students may have access to the Instructor.
Examples of Duties
(Note: The following examples of work as listed in this job descriptions are not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the classification. The omission of specific statements does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.)
- Uses assessment strategies (traditional and alternate) to assist the continuous development of the learner.
- Uses effective communication techniques with students and all other stakeholders.
- Engages in continuous professional quality improvement for self and school.
- Uses appropriate techniques and strategies, which promote and enhance critical, creative, and evaluative thinking capabilities of students.
- Uses teaching and learning strategies that reflect each student’s culture, learning styles, special needs, and socio-economic background.
- Adheres to Code of Ethics and Principles of Professional Conduct of the Education Profession in Florida.
- Uses an understanding of learning and human development to provide a positive learning environment, which supports the intellectual, personal, and social development of all students.
- Demonstrates knowledge and understandings of the subject matter.
- Creates and maintains positive learning environments in which students are actively engaged in learning, social interaction, cooperative learning and self-motivation.
- Plans, implements, and evaluates instruction in a variety of learning environments.
- Works with various educational professionals and other stakeholders in the continuous improvement of the educational experiences of students.
- Uses appropriate technology in the teaching and learning process.
- Other functions as specified in applicable policies/procedures and the Faculty Handbook.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required.)
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS:
Experience in using technology in instruction. Ability to work well with others. Experience with or desire to teach distancelearning, online and/or evening courses. Ability to present information in a coherent manner and the ability to fairly evaluate student retention of that information. Computer literate.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Master's Degree with minimum of 18 graduate credits in Government, Political Science, or Public Administration or a combination of experience and/or education commensurate with the requirements of this position.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS:
- Acceptable eyesight (with or without correction).
- Acceptable hearing (with or without hearing aid).
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Light (up to 15 pounds) lifting and carrying.
- Use of fingers.
Works inside in an office and classroom environment.
(Reasonable accommodations will be made in accordance with existing ADA requirements for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.)
Florida Gateway College does not discriminate in education or employment related decisions on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, gender, religion, disability, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or any other legally protected status in accordance with the law